British Airways Executive Club has just launched a flash sale offering a 40% bonus on purchased Avios miles. Maximizing this promotion can bring down the cost per Avios to as low as $1.97 cents (for Executive Club members registered in Europe) to $1.39 cents (for members registered in the United States).
While that may seem expensive, but buying miles like this could represent a fantastic value depending on your upcoming travel plans.
If you want to take advantage of this offer, act fast since the offer expires on Friday, January 20, 2023 (London Time).
In this post:
Promotion on Buying British Airways Avios
British Airways is offering Executive Club members a 40% bonus on purchased Avios until this Friday, January 20, 2023. If you buy Avios during this sale you’ll get a 40% bonus when you buy 2,000 Avios or more before the bonus.
How Much Do Avios Cost?
British Airways varies the cost of buying Avios depending on how many you buy. The more Avios you buy, the lower the cost per Avios. The maximum number of Avios you can buy is 200,000 (before bonuses) which is also the level at which you’ll get the lowest cost per Avios.
Another complication with the British Airways Executive Club is that the price will change depending on where your account is registered. Users registered in the United States will pay the highest cost while users based in the European Union get the lowest. UK-based users are somewhere in the middle.
If your account is registered in the United States, the standard cost to buy 200,000 number of Avios is $5,523 — a cost per Avios of 2.76 cents. With the promotion, you’d get a bonus of 80,000 Avios and get 280,000 Avios for that price for a cost per Avios of 1.97 cents per Avios.
Members registered in the United Kingdom usually pay £3,215 GBP ($3,920 USD) for 200,000 Avios meaning a price per Avios of 1.96 cents per Avios. With the promotion, UK-based members pay 1.4 cents per Avios.
Meanwhile, users registered in the European Union get the best deal. They standard price is €3,601 EUR ($3,898) for 200,000 Avios resulting in a standard cost per Avios of 1.95 cents. With the promotion, they’d pay just 1.39 cents per Avios.
Annual Limit On British Airways Avios Purchases Lifted
British Airways usually limits Executive Club members to buying a maximum of 100,000 Avios per calendar year (before bonuses). The cap is increased for this promotion to 200,000 Avios.
What Are The Terms & Conditions?
I’m including the terms & conditions for this promotion and general terms for buying Avios from British Airways below:
Promotional terms and conditions: 40% bonus Avios
- This offer is only open to Members of the British Airways Executive Club (Eligible Participants).
- The offer is available from 00:01 (GMT) Monday 16 January 2023 to 23:59 (GMT) Friday 20 January 2023 only (the ‘Offer Period’).
- During the Offer Period, Eligible Participants will receive 40% extra Avios (bonus Avios) when they Purchase or Gift Avios.
- Avios can only be purchased or gifted at Purchase and Gift Avios Application Form.
- Eligible Participants may Gift Avios (purchase for someone else) during the promotional period, provided that the recipient holds a British Airways Executive Club account with at least one Avios point in their account.
- The Bonus Avios will not count towards your annual limit of 200,000 Avios.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Purchase Avios offer.
- The Executive Club Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Use apply to this offer and can be found at ba.com.
- British Airways reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this offer.
General terms and conditions:
- The Purchaser can buy a maximum of 200,000 Avios in any one calendar year. We reserve the right to amend the maximum annual amount that can be bought at any time.
- Avios can only be bought in specified amounts, starting at the minimum of 2,000 Avios.
- Buy Avios may be amended from time to time for promotional activity, please see the Buy Avios page for details.
- The Purchaser will be able to spend Avios when they appear as credited in the Purchaser’s Executive Club account. There may be occasions where there is a delay of up to 3 working days in the Avios being credited to your account. If after this time you have not received your Avios, please let us know via the Contact Us form at the bottom of the Buy Avios page.
- Avios can only be bought on Ba.com using the Buy Avios application.
- The transaction currency will be pre-determined based on the registered country of the British Airways Executive Club account.
- The Purchaser must be a Member of the British Airways Executive Club and age 18 years or over.
- The Purchaser must have at least one Avios in their Executive Club account in order to buy Avios. If the Purchaser has a balance of zero Avios, they will need to have collected or redeemed Avios in the past 36 months in order to buy Avios.
- The Purchaser will be unable to buy Avios if they have a negative balance.
- The Buy Avios year begins 1 January and ends 31 December.
- Purchasing Avios will reset the 36-month Avios expiry rule, as set out in the British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions.
- You have the right to cancel contracts for the purchase of Avios within 14 days of purchase provided the Avios have not been used. To exercise the right to cancel the purchase of the Avios, you must select the refund option contained in your Buy Avios email confirmation. If you cancel, we will reimburse the entire payment up to 14 days after the day on which we were informed about your decision to cancel this contract.
- Avios which are subsequently refunded will not constitute activity for the purposes of the 36-month Avios expiry rule in the Terms and Conditions.
- In the case of Fraud or Misconduct, both as defined in the Terms and Conditions, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to terminate the Membership of any Member and may cancel all accrued and accruing Avios of the Member and any Reward booking.
What Credit Card Is Best For A Hyatt Points Purchase?
When you buy British Airways Avios, the charges are processed by points.com meaning they’re categorized as general spend rather than airfare spend. That makes any credit card you’re trying to meet a minimum spend for a bonus a great option for purchasing the points.
While there are many fantastic cards for credit card spend, you will not trigger any airfare spend bonuses by using these cards to purchase Avios.
British Airways is running a flash sale allowing Executive Club members to get a 40% bonus on buying Avios until this Friday. While this could be a good deal if you have an immediate use for the purchased Avios in mind, British Airways has run promotions for 50% bonus Avios in the past. If you just want to bank Avios, you might be better off hanging tight for the next promotion.